Wednesday, April 22, 2015

About Time for Hodgepodge!

It's been since November... my, how time flies! 


1. Have you ever had to wear a uniform? If yes, tell us more. Did you love it or hate it?

When I was in highschool and college, I was a cheerleader and loved our uniforms! This was back in the day when cheerleaders actually "led" the crowd in cheers and their uniforms covered their bodies... my how times have changed.  I also worked at my Dad's diner...I didn't mind wearing the uniform but I absolutely despised waitressing!  Sometimes for choir we are asked to wear our robes. I don't really care for them...not sure if they qualify for "uniforms."  I love my "uniform" for being a retired wife, mother and grandmother:  jeans and a T-Shirt :-)  

2. April 22nd is Earth Day. What is one thing you do personally to be a good steward of planet Earth?

If I can't find a garbage or recycle bin, I carry my "garbage" home with me.  Littering is rude, disrespectful and unnecessary. 

3. Brown rice, quinoa, or couscous...your healthy grain of choice? How often are one of the three on your menu at home?  Given a choice between white rice, brown rice, wild rice, and fried rice which would you go for? 

I've had all three grains, most recently some quinoa we bought just to try. I've also had quinoa chips that were very good! Brown rice is my favorite at the moment. I also enjoy wild and white rice. Fried rice is just ok.  We have one form of rice or another quite often.

4. In your opinion, who has the best job ever?

I do :-)   I'm a wife, mother and a substitute teacher! I actually count the first two as privileges instead of "jobs" and for most of my marriage I had the extra privilege of not having to have a "job" so I was free to "work" at home.  When the kids got older, I did work for 20 years as a teacher's aide and coupled with my education, when I retired, I was hired to be a substitute teacher/aide/assistant ... whomever is needed and whatever days I choose.  Not a lot of money but I sure do enjoy myself!

5. What's a situation in your life currently requiring patience? 

Substitute teaching!  Imagine that?  Oh, and also the true privilege of caring long distance for elderly parents, but we have a good support system in place. 

6.  Do you live your life around days of the week? Explain.

I didn't realize how much so until I started typing!  Sundays are for church (AM & PM). Monday afternoons are for the after school kids' Bible Club. First Monday of the month I have a deaconess meeting. Wednesday evenings are for prayer meeting and Bible study at "Bill's church" and Thursdays are prayer meeting and choir practice at "our church."  Friday nights are often spent with the youth at "Pink Chicken."

Why do we have two churches?  Well, Bill, as a licensed preacher, was asked to preach at a local church in the absence of their pastor. He was then asked to be their interim pastor while they searched for one. Recently he was asked to BE their pastor, with the understanding that they will be growing and trying to find a full time pastor when the time is right, as they know Bill would only like to work full time for another few years. In the meantime, they understand I have obligations in "our church" and do not expect me to resign from them, so I work my time in for both churches.  

What's "Pink Chicken?"  LOL!!!  Don't eat it...  It's the name of "our church's" regional youth group. Kids from all over come for a short devotional and a good time of food, music, sports, etc.  The church's other "regular" youth group meet on another night and have a more focused agenda. 

7. In a nod to the A to Z challenge happening around town this month, what 'R word' best describes your April? 

"R" is for "rainy."  The snow finally melted but our first full week and our third week seemed to have a lot of rain.  I was SO hoping for  some warm sunshine ... if you missed it last week, I'm sorry. Hoping it will be back next week to finish out the month.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I LOVE springtime!

10 years ago, Erika helped me plant and water some early plantings...


6 years ago, Bella helped sort and choose seeds to plant...  


1 comment:

Joyce said...

We had snow fall yesterday-ugh! I've never heard of quinoa chips. Might have to look for those. Have a great weekend!