Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Self Control and Cookies

I sit here with a package of chocolate chip cookies. This is not good. There are not many left. It was not opened just this morning, but that is small comfort. You see, I am not exercising self control. I should. I've done it before. It's expected of me. It's not like the Lord has not graciously bestowed a measure of it to me ... so what is the problem? Plain and simple. Sin. We are all afflicted and affected by it.

I am so aware of this problem because not only have I read it as part of my Sunday School class (we're in the book of Titus), but it just happened to be where my daily reading has me (Titus 2) and our discipleship class on Sunday nights is now in a new book and we are tearing apart the book of ... you guessed it, Titus! This week it was chapters 2 and 3.

Can God be any more in my face without me actually seeing him face to face? That will happen someday, but hopefully not because of my lack of self control.

Titus 2: 3 - 5 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderersor slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

Now some people would look at this and say, "oh he was talking about more than just food!" True, but I know conviction when I feel it and God was speaking to ME! Yes, I have confessed this and have asked to be forgiven so please pray with me to this end: That I not cave in to delicious food just to delight my palate, but to nourish my body and enjoy the experience. That's a tall order for all of us; you to pray for me and me to practice self control.

Now that I have so many to be accountable to, it may be easier or it may not but I'm now setting a visible example, and though I will be reaping the rewards of a healthier me, I will be a living testimony to my Lord ... and I want it to be a good one!



4 comments:

Kristen said...

Maybe because you love and honor God, you can look at those cookies, and tell yourself "I love God. I love him for this beautiful body he has given me. And by not over indulging, by choosing instead to consume nourishing foods, I am showing him that I love and respect him. And that I love and respect what he has given me" or something like that :-) Helps me when I'm struggling...

Peggy said...

Yes, and sharing it with the world has made me even more accountable! See, these things I already know to be true but sometimes it just takes a real kick in the pants to accomplish and I really don't want that ... in any form! You will be one of the first to hear of and see such accomplishments :-)

Anonymous said...

Barbara Joyce says"I'm in the same boat with different foods. My friend Linda used to make all of us at work eat SLOWLY at lunch and make each meal or snack an OCCASION rather than the thoughtless munching we usually did. It helped to consider the food as a work of art,and truly savor a few bites, rather than go for satiation.Good luck to you & to me,too.Prayers gratefully given & accepted.""

Peggy said...

BJ, we must change "Annonymous" to Annonymouse" .. :-) you enter and leave with hardly a squeak!

I did well for so many years and then... my body and fat became friends. Then fat invited others to come live. :-( I love food. I don't eat a lot, but I definitely eat the wrong things so .. prayers gratefully accepted (and offered, always!)