Saturday, April 2, 2011

Brownies from Scratch

I can't tell you the last time I made brownies from scratch. Isn't that terrible? What kind of a mother/homemaker am I to have relied on Duncan Hines Brownie Mix all these years? Oh, once in a while I would switch to Betty Crocker's Brownie Mix, and rarely *insert your store name* Brownie Mix. Why, I even splurged at times and got the Duncan Hines DELUXE Brownie Mix. But today is different. You see, yesterday was our son Chris' birthday and since he was about 12 years old, has requested brownies for his birthday; brownies with powdered sugar on top. He hasn't requested them in years and in fact, I think the last time we made brownies for him on request was back when he turned 21 and was just finishing boot camp in South Carolina. I relegated the baking to our niece who was living with us at the time. She eagerly purchased good 'ol Duncan Hines and set to work mixing and baking and sugaring. It was delicious looking when it was all finished and we carefully packed it up and placed it inside my carry on bag for the flight to South Carolina. Can you see where this is going? No you can't! We arrived in South Carolina around midnight after leaving work, and a VERY long delay due to thunderstorms only to find our "reserved" rental car was nowhere to be found. We called our rental agreement people and complained and was told to go back to the counter and have them call. We were given an "upgrade" from a "full size" sedan to a "sport utility" ... well, that sounded nice enough but it had a gazillion miles on it and sounded like the nuts and bolts that held it together weren't doing a very good job. It also used dual definition for the word "shocks." We had no choice. I don't remember the hotel. I only remember falling asleep, exhausted and ready to see our son who had overcome some nasty boot camp illness/injuries just in time to graduate :-) Though we couldn't have contact with him, yet, we were allowed on the grounds where they were assembling in their companies. He was in Delta and we thought we spotted him. Took pictures of the whole group and then realized we were in the wrong company. Ooops! They all look alike with their uniforms and tanned faces and necks :-) We went to graduation and spotted him with his outfit ... he was the one limping but only slightly! Our eyes followed him and him only. After graduation we were able to join him for dinner at the NCO dining hall and a walk/ride around the base. He took us everywhere and showed us everything. We got to go to the commissary where he purchased a flight bag. Now, since he was finally allowed off base, we offered to take him anywhere he wanted to go. "You name it, Chris, we'll go there!" What did he choose? Ready for this one? WALMART! He could see it every single stinkin' day he ran. In the freezing rain, in the regular rain, in the high humidity of springtime. He wanted to go to Walmart. So we did. I don't recall any of us buying anything there, but he enjoyed all the colors besides green and tan. We drove passed the zoo and thought it would have been nice to go there but I guess boot camp was zoo enough for Chris! We found a very nice area near a pond and some ironwood trees where we could take some pictures and sit quietly to talk. Oh, yeah .. and eat brownies! He was sure surprised; not once but twice. Sadly, our niece did not realize and we did not check but the Duncan Hines Brownie Mix contained walnuts. :-( Oh, Chris, we are SO SORRY! He does not like nuts (still doesn't) but he managed to find his way around them and so enjoyed his birthday brownies and it was just a few days after his real birthday! On his real birthday, he was busy experiencing the tear gas room (gag). Since it was his birthday, they gave him (and his buddies) cake to eat first ... there was a whole lot more than just tears leaving those poor boys according to Chris, except for him. He forced himself to keep it down. Good boy! Just like his Daddy! *ding* .. really! The timer just went off as I was typing the last sentence. I can't believe it took me 45 minutes to type this. They do look and smell REALLY good! So, 'fess up folks, let me know how many other lazy bone cooks are out there substituting box mixes for the real thing. I KNOW I'm not the only one! PS ... my pancakes are from scratch lest you think I'm a total lazy wife and mother!

3 comments:

Chris said...

They sound so good. Can't wait to munch them with Kristen and the munchkin. Wow memories. Been a while since I thought about the gas chamber. They also served up generous helpings of Chille Mac. Some guys went back for seconds The chamber is ON Chillemac Road for a reason.

trump said...

Love me some Brownies, must have walnuts in them though. Richard from www.Amishstorys.com

Peggy said...

Chris, I had forgotten the part about Chillemac .. and now I remember that YOU didn't eat the cake first ... smart boy! I'm glad you enjoyed the brownies.

Thanks for stopping by, Richard and I hope you get to have some brownies very soon!