Wednesday, January 23, 2013



It's time for Wednesday's Hodge Podge!

1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly. Is he right?

I've never given that quote much thought, really. The word "All" can be disturbing ... someone trying to steal away another's spouse in the name of "love" would not be fair or proper, though it is done all the time. It would appear this problem has been around for a long time, though... War is something that involves death and destruction and there is nothing "fair" about that.

2. Are you a cereal eater? What's your favorite kind?

Mmmmm... as I listen to my husband munch away on Frosted Mini Wheats ... :-) I believe, today, this is my favorite!

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles). She did not have the gun with her at school. A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record. The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts? (If you missed the story click here for details)

I just checked on this story and it is utterly ridiculous! Water pistols and super soakers are meant to be aimed and shot at each other. If all the child did was talk about shooting it and not about killing there should have been no problem. Psych eval? That should have revealed something ... Suspension? How about some counseling instead! Even counseling sounds a bit weird to me... It's OK to have video games with shooting, TV programs with shooting, then we need to let the kids speak about it in school. They better start watching little boys when they play with their Lego Men... Really, this country needs to get a grip on what is important and makes sense at the same time. I didn't find the link to the story in the question, but here it is: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/kindergartner-suspended-over-bubble-gun-threat/

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?

Uh, oh. I read an answer on another blog ... and I have "Common Sense" on my mind. If only the rest of our world, especially politicians, could have it on their minds as well.

5. January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil. Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive? This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?

I like my cursive handwriting but it begins to deteriorate in 3 - 5 sentences. I used to enjoy hand writing letters to friends, but typing is so much faster! I like to print as well. I probably won't be celebrating National Handwriting Day with a letter, though. The last thing I signed my name to was my time sheet for work. I even remember thinking that my signature looked pretty nice for the time it took! I know, I'm strange!

6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?

I've been there but never to sight see. I have family just outside of Philly and that was where we spent our time. I suppose it would be nice to take in Independence Hall.

7. Share something funny you've heard a child say.

I've spent the last 24 years in elementary education and raised 3 boys, too. I have a ton of funny conversations tucked away in my brain but none of them are coming to mind!

What did pop into it, was "Shishyhock" ... This was a term our oldest son used when he was barely 18 months old. The first time, we could not figure out what on earth he was talking about but whatever it was, it was on the other side of the gate that barricaded the living room from the rest of the house. "Shisyhock!" he yelled...over and over, and the emphasis would be on "hock". We had no clue. We finally took the gate down and he barreled down the hall, into his bedroom and came out with his... shoes and socks! He wanted to go next door to visit his grammy and he was in his bare feet; problem solved!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

If we can't have a good 'ol fashioned snow storm, than I will focus on Spring. It is coming. The temperatures might be in the negative this morning, but without a doubt, we WILL have warmer temperatures in the not too distant future!

3 comments:

retired not tired said...

Loved your kid's story. It made me laugh.

Peggy said...

He's 37 years old now and tired of hearing it... fortunately he does not read my blog! HAHAHA!!! Thanks for reading!

Joyce said...

You should definitely see Independence Hall. I also always tell people to go to the Mint-that's an interesting place.