Wednesday, January 30, 2013

 

Wednesday Hodge Podge to the Rescue!

1.  In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49's in the Superbowl.  What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?

Well, I'm not one for big crowds of screaming people so, I think the wedding of some dear young friends this past summer can be considered a super event! Congratulations, Andrea and Tom! You guys are super in my book!

2.  Share something you're a fan of these days? 

A fan devotes time and energy to something they really like.  I'm definitely a fan of Biblical Christianity and though the question asked for "something" and several things I am adding:  marriage, parenthood and chocolate. 

3. How do you feel about wings?  In case anyone is confused, I'm talking the edible appetizer kind.  What's your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other?  Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?   

We seldom have wings and I have never made them. However, we have a favorite restaurant in the summer time where wings are often on the appetizer menu *mouth waters* and for the most part, I like them mild...maybe a touch of honey.

4.  As long as we're talking sports today...have you followed the Lance Armstrong story?  Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?  

I did not watch Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah, but watched news clips after the fact. What I heard left me feeling very sad, mostly for him. His confession was not with remorse. He appearance while giving this confession (what I saw of it) was one of resignation at being caught not being sorry. I understand he apologized to his charity... now nice of him. I don't make it a point to put people on pedestals and it's a good thing. 

5.  What's a question you hate to be asked?  

"Have you lost weight?"   No! I haven't! I've gained weight! If you think I look thinner now, what on earth did you think I looked like the last time you saw me!!!!   

6. The coaches in this Sunday's big game happen to be real life brothers.  Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er's and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens.  Were you and your sibling(s) competitive?  In what way? Are you still?  If you're an only child how did you handle competition growing up?  

I wasn't an only child but was the youngest (by 8 years) and did not have any competition in the family. Even with a nephew the same age as me, we did not compete.  However, I did compete with the other kids in my neighborhood and we all had our strengths and weaknesses.  As little kids, I was the hula hoop champ. As a teenager, I managed to land all the baby sitting jobs... no one else wanted them, so no competition there! As a cheerleader in high school, I had to compete with many other girls. It was hard not to win a spot on the JV team as a Freshman and I cried terribly. I managed to get on as a sub for my Sophmore JV year, and also my Junior year on Varsity, finally making it to the team "for real" (3rd from the top) my Senior year.  As an adult, my only competition has been musically with a women's barbershop chorus. We had lots of fun and I don't even remember where we placed, but it wasn't near the top!

7.  What's your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?   

My favorite game to play would be softball and I honestly can't remember the last time I played. I think it was several years ago with my church. A bunch of us would get together on the school's diamond and play whomever showed up. Lots of fun! If one team or the other was short one, we would "loan" or "borrow" a player!  Oh... wait a minute... I forgot I played catch with my little granddaughter last summer; that should count, right?!  I think playing catch is my favorite, now....  

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

Sports are important to children but I think "awarding" kids for simply being on a team is not a good idea. Awards are supposed to be special; for those who win, not for those who just participate.  A certificate is ok, but I've seen kids sports where everyone gets a little trophy... what?  No one wants to hurt a child's feelings.  Well, this is where they learn how to handle those feelings!  Not everyone wins. The incentive should be to try again next year, next week, whatever the time frame is. We should not be awarding or rewarding our children for every little thing they do. Simple praise from their coaches and the love and support of their families should suffice.  ... that is, if their families care to be involved... but that's another random thought...

No comments: